U-Idaho Extension Magic Valley Horticulture U-Idaho Extension Image Map
Dec 142012

Living on the Land logoBy Tony McCammon
Twin Falls County Extension Educator

2013 marks the twelfth year that the “Living on the Land – Stewardship for Small Acreages” class series will be offered by University of Idaho Extension.  The class is aimed at current and future land owners of small acreage property from small urban or suburban lots to small farms.  Topics to be covered include managing soil, composting, water quality, irrigation systems, weed and pest control, pasture and forage management, caring for animals, and organic and market gardening.  Participants will develop a plan for their property and share ideas with a team of expert instructors and other participants.  Here is what previous participants have said about the course:

“Talking to other classmates made me feel less overwhelmed and ‘stupid.’  I realized that I wasn’t alone and that there are people and resources out there to help.” 

“It opened my eyes to what I really have in my land [and] gave me a better perspective about what I want to do on my property.” 

“I was very pleased with the ‘greenness’ of the information presented.” 

“Pertinent, practical, [and] really necessary as more people ‘go country.’”

“I really enjoyed getting to know our classmates and sharing ideas, frustrations, triumphs, etc. as we explored options for our property.  It was great to have so many resources at our fingertips and I look forward to delving deeper…” 

“The introduction to pasture management/rejuvenation and rotational grazing really helped us to plan better use of pasture.” 

“I wish I could have taken a class like this 20 years ago.  What I paid for the class came back in value after the first two classes, and the rest was over the top!” 

The 2013 class will be offered in Twin Falls on Thursday evenings, starting January 31st and will run for seven weeks through March 14th.  The class will meet at College of Southern Idaho, Taylor Building – Rm #276, off the Falls Avenue entrance, from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. The cost for this 7-week class is $170 per unit.  A unit is up to two people sharing materials and tests.  Water, soil, and materials are included in the class fee.  University credit and continuing education credit are available for students and/or teachers. To register for the class, click here.  For more information, click here or contact the Twin Falls County Extension office at (208)734-9590.  Registration deadline is January 28th.

December 14, 2012