Selection of the proper plant species and cultivars determine your ultimate success with annuals. Care must be taken to choose plants that complement their surroundings, are adapted to the local climate and situation, and provide the intended effect.
Annuals can be categorized based on growth characteristics or intended use, making selection easier. Useful groupings include hardiness, drought and heat tolerance, shade tolerance, fragrance, exhibition of ornamental foliage, ability to vine or climb, utility for hanging baskets, or use for cut flowers.
Additional outstanding information designed to provide assistance with selection of annual flowers is available from a number of sources. These include:
- A Mississippi State University quick reference list for annual flowers and their uses.
- A University of Missouri web site with detailed descriptions and suggested uses for annual flowers.
There are several internet sites with excellent pictures of annual flowers. Here are some of the best.
- Annual Flowers for Minnesota from the University of Minnesota.
- North Carolina State University annual common name database.
- Or the North Carolina State University scientific name database.
- One of the best personal sites with beautiful pictures of annuals is maintained by Glen and Maureen in Regina, SK, Canada.